The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.
All student and exchange visitors, except those exchange visitors who are sponsored by the United States government, MUST pay the form I-901 SEVIS fee prior to visa interview at FMJFEE.com. Applicants failing to provide this information will be turned away and be required to schedule a new appointment date.
Travel to the United States on a temporary basis, including tourism, temporary employment, study and exchange.
For foreign citizens who want to live permanently in the U.S.
What is a Visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.).
To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page for full information or use contact information below:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +234 1 227 8955
Specific Inquiries on visa cases in progress should contact:
Monday through Thursday from 07:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and
Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Consular Section Abuja is closed to the public the second and the last Friday of every month.
Plot 1075, Diplomatic Drive
Central Business District, Abuja
Tel: +234 1 227 8955
Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
U.S. Consulate General Lagos Office
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos
Tel.: +234 1 227 8955
- If your inquiry concerns a nonimmigrant visa case, please send your email to LagosNIV@state.gov
- If your inquiry concerns an immigrant visa case, please send your email to LagosIV@state.gov
- If your inquiry concerns American Citizen Services, please send your email to LagosACS@state.gov
- If your inquiry concerns a student visa, please send your email to LagosStudentVisas@state.gov
For security reasons, we cannot open or read any e-mails with attachments.
Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on non-immigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on http://travel.state.gov.
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:
- Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
- Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.