Due to reasons beyond our control we are temporarily unable to provide regular services for visas and American Citizen Services in Abuja, but other offices within the Embassy remain open. Please note that consular functions at the U.S. Consulate Lagos are not affected and will continue.
Until further notice, applicants are encouraged to contact the Consular Office in Lagos for immediate emergency travel. Please monitor the Facebook and Webpage of the U.S. Embassy for updates on consular operations. Scheduled visa and ACS applicants for Abuja will be contacted for rescheduling.
American citizens in northern Nigeria with urgent travel needs who are travelling before Eid-el-Kabir and who are willing to re-schedule their travel through Lagos should contact the ACS office at Consulate Lagos (01460 3600 and LagosACS@state.gov) to discuss their options. Those travelling after August 23 should follow-up with AbujaACS@state.gov to confirm their appointments closer to their appointment date.
American citizens in northern Nigeria with emergency services needs should continue to contact the after-hours emergency number for Abuja at 09461-4000 and press “0” to go to the operator to request assistance.
We regret the inconvenience this has caused to our applicants in Abuja and hope to resume operations after the Eid-El-Kabir holidays. Please monitor the Facebook and Webpage of the US Embassy for the next status update of consular operations in Abuja.
For information on security in Nigeria:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Travel Advisories and Alerts, the Nigeria Travel Advisory, Nigeria Country Information, and the Crime and Safety Reports for Nigeria
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy inAbuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, at +234 (9) 461-4328 (ACS only), Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (9) 461-4000 and press zero.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate inLagos, located 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, at +234 (1) 460-3600 (ACS only), Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (1) 460 3400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook