Minor’s Passport Renewal

Do you need to renew a Minor’s passport?

Minor’s Passport Renewal (Under Age 16)

  • Complete Form DS-11.   Enter your information online and print Form DS-11.  Failure to provide information requested on this form, including your social security number, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
  • Do not sign Form DS-11 on page 1
  • Both parents must be present with the child. Each should carry their passports or other photo identification documents issued by a government such as driver’s license, or new national identification card.
  • Bring one (1) photo measuring 2×2 inches.
  • The fee is $135 payable in dollars or the equivalent in Nigerian Naira in cash at the Embassy. We do not accept credit cards.
  • Original or certified Birth Certificate of the child/children.
  • If the child’s physical appearance has changed significantly since the last passport photograph, the Consular officer will request transitional photos as proof of identification.  Generally, the officer will require one photograph from each year since the prior passport issuance.
  • If one parent has sole custody over the child/children we need original documentation such as court order, death certificate or any other proof showing sole custody.
  • Passport issuances in Abuja and Lagos are by appointment only. Please schedule your appointment here:

In order for us to provide quality service to all our customers, it is important that you arrive on time for your appointment. Applicants who arrive more than 15 minutes late for their appointments will have to reschedule. Applicants who arrive on time for their appointment without the required documents may also be required to reschedule their appointments.

Allow Approximately 3 weeks for processing. Passports must be collected by the applicant or authorized representative. An appointment is not necessary to pick up your passport.

What to do when both parents are not able to be present at passport interview:

Both parents or guardians should appear with the minor. If one parent/guardian cannot be present, the non-applying parent or guardian must complete DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” (https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds3053.pdf) providing written consent for the issuance of a passport for the minor child.  Additionally, the non-applying parent or guardian consenting to the issuance of a passport for a minor child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a Certified Notary Public. U.S. government (available at the Consulate in Lagos or Embassy in Abuja) or U.S.-based notaries are required.   Documents notarized in Nigeria, except at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General, are not accepted.
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that was presented to the Notary Public with Form DS-3053.

On the appointment day, the applying parent or guardian will submit:

  • The signed, notarized DS-3053 and a certified copy of U.S. Passport to the parent or guardian who will be accompanying the minor to the embassy on the appointment day. If parent is not a U.S. Citizen, a certified copy of driver’s license/passport will suffice.
  • Original birth certificate of the child/children.
  • Additionally, if neither parent is present at the time of the appointment then the guardian or trusted adult accompanying the child should also present two DS-3053s (one from each parent) OR a notarized power of attorney authorizing them to execute form DS-11 on behalf of both parent(s)

If you are the applying parent or guardian and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian or evidence of sole custody cannot be obtained in a timely manner, complete the DS-5525 “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances” .

The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.

Please submit the DS-5525 with the DS-11 on the appointment day.