Ask a COVID-19 Question
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
There is a nation-wide curfew, which since June 2 is effective from 10 P.M. to 4 A.M. every day. If you plan to travel to Abuja or Lagos for an evacuation flight, please make sure you have made all necessary arrangements for your transportation and accommodations. The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and U.S. Consulate General in Lagos are unable to assist with the procurement or funding of lodging, transportation, medication, and food for those affected.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
- As of July 2, Nigeria has 26,484 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- Nigeria has testing capacity for COVID-19. For the most recent number of individuals tested, view Nigeria Centre for Disease Control’s (NCDC’s) Daily Situation Report.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
*As of March 23, the Federal Government of Nigeria has suspended all international and domestic commercial air flights into and within Nigeria.
*On July 1, the Ministry of Aviation announced a staggered restart of domestic flights according to the following schedule:
- July 8: Abuja – Lagos
- July 11: Kano, Maiduguri, Owerri, Port Harcourt
- July 15: other airports
Please visit the NCDC’s Public Health Advisory web page for the most up-to-date information
NCDC’s Public Health Advisory states the following for traveler’s to Nigeria:
- If travelers from countries with ongoing local transmission* feel ill with fever, cough or difficulty breathing within 14 days of arrival in Nigeria, please:
- Observe self-isolation immediately by staying indoors and avoiding contact with people
- Call the NCDC 24/7 toll-free line IMMEDIATELY on 080097000010
- Avoid self-medication
Referral and transfer arrangements with local hospitals may be initiated if passengers are ill.
List any local resources that can provide additional useful information.
Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC)
- Toll-Free Number: 0800-970000-10
- SMS (Text Message): 08099555577
- Website: https://ncdc.gov.ng/
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WhatsApp: 07087110839 (if outside of Nigeria – +234-708-711-0839)
- U.S. citizens returning to the United States from Europe should view the COVID-19 Information for Travelers webpage on travel.state.gov.
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Nigeria Information and Travel Advisory page