Location: Abuja FCT, Nigeria
Date: May 26, 2022
Event: Political Events
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) expects 3,700 delegates with over 7,000 supporters and staff to attend its Presidential primary (special national convention) at MKO Stadium in Abuja from May 28-29. The All Progressives Congress (APC) with 7,000 delegates will attend its convention at Eagle Square, Abuja with activities from May 26-30.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens to maintain a high state of personal security awareness during this time, as the demonstration may become violent.
Additional political activities, including various aspirant’s supporters, could rally in nearby areas, and clashes between rival political activists are possible. Authorities are highly likely to increase security, which could include temporary road closures and checkpoints near the conventions. Security measures will result in localized traffic disruptions, and congestion will intensify during arrival and departures of convention participants.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Eagle square and MKO Stadium areas and entire Shehu Shagari Way axis.
- Traffic disruption in the city center is a possibility and only essential movements are advised.
- Avoid large crowds and/or potential demonstrations.
- Verify the status of roads before heading out.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Carry proper identification.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans and keep your cell phone charged in case of emergency.
- Always drive with your windows rolled up and the doors locked.
- Review alternative travel routes in case of unexpected protests or unrest
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Always keep the doors to your residence locked.
U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4328 and after hours +234 (9) 461-4000 press zero.
U.S. Consulate General Lagos
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after-hours
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.