Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Date: February 10, 2022
Event: Abuja FCT Area Council Elections on Saturday, February 12
FCT Abuja Area Council Elections are scheduled for this Saturday, February 12th. The Nigeria Police Force will increase its visible presence and implement traffic restrictions throughout Abuja and the FCT. These restrictions will likely be in place from midnight on Friday night to1600 hours on Saturday afternoon. U.S. citizens may encounter security checkpoints and should be prepared to be stopped and identified by security forces. It is recommended that U.S. citizens avoid any unnecessary movement during the restricted time.
The possibility of impromptu protests and unrest is always present, and U.S. citizens are encouraged to maintain a high state of personal security awareness by taking the following precautions.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Carry proper identification.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Always drive with your windows rolled up and the doors locked.
- Avoid large gatherings and protests.
- Review alternative travel routes in case of unexpected protests or unrest
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Always keep the doors to your residence locked, even when at home.
U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 and after hours +234 (9) 461-4000 and press zero.
U.S. Consulate General Lagos
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after-hours
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444