The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, June 26 and Tuesday, June 27 in observance of Eid-al-Fitr. The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate General will reopen on Wednesday, June 28.
The U.S. Mission reminds all U.S. citizens to exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings as Ramadan ends and during the upcoming Eid-al-Fitr holiday. Security measures in Nigeria remain heightened due to threats posed by extremist groups. U.S. citizens should expect additional police and military checkpoints and possible road blocks throughout the country. Be particularly vigilant around places of worship, locations where large crowds may gather, government facilities, as well as areas frequented by foreigners.
Review your personal security plans, maintain awareness of local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, Travel Warning for Nigeria, and Nigeria Country-Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, at +234 (9) 461-4000, Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (9) 461-4000. Contact the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, located 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, at +234 (1) 460-3600 or +234 (1) 460-3400, Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (1) 460-3600 or +234 (1) 460-3400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.