On January 5, the Government of Nigeria announced that Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja would be closed from March 8 to April 19, 2017, to repair the runway.
During the announced period of the airport closure, international airlines are expected to suspend service to Abuja. The international airports in Kano, Lagos, and Port Harcourt will remain open. Domestic flights to Abuja may be rerouted to Kaduna (in Kaduna State), about 100 miles north of Abuja. Statements by the Government of Nigeria indicate plans for an increased military and federal police presence in and around the Kaduna airport as well as along the rail and road corridors linking Kaduna and Abuja.
The Department of State strongly urges U.S. citizens in Nigeria to consider their own personal security and to keep personal safety in the forefront of their travel planning. Based on safety and security risk assessments, the Embassy maintains restrictions for travel by officials to Kaduna, Kano, and Port Harcourt. U.S. officials and their families must receive advance clearance by the U.S. Mission for any travel to or from Kaduna, Kano, and Port Harcourt, including overland transit to airports outside Abuja.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts,Travel Warning for Nigeria, and Nigeria Country-Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, at +234 (9) 461-4000, Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (9) 461-4000. Contact the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, located 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, at +234 (1) 460-3600 or +234 (1) 460-3400, Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (1) 460-3600 or +234 (1) 460-3400.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.