Security Alert – U.S. Mission to Nigeria (August 17, 2018)
Location: Country-wide, Nigeria.
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Tuesday, August 21 and Wednesday, August 22 in observance of Eid-el-Kabir. The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate General will reopen on Thursday, August 23.
Please exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings during the upcoming Eid-el-Kabir holiday. Security measures in Nigeria remain heightened due to threats posed by extremist groups.
Actions to Take:
- Expect additional police and military checkpoints and possible road blocks throughout the country
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Nigerian visa
- Exercise caution when walking or driving at night
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, government facilities, places of worship, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Review your personal security plans
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria
+(234) 9 461-4328
+(234) 9 461-4000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria
+(234) 1 460-3600
+(234) 1 460-3400 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444