Location: Nigeria, country-wide
Event: During the holiday season, security measures in Nigeria remain heightened due to ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology. Extremists continue to focus on tourist locations such as holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, and other soft targets frequented by Westerners.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4328 and after hours +234 (9) 461-4000 press zero.
- U.S. Consulate Lagos
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3600 and after hours +234 (1) 460 3400
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook