Location: Abuja Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nigeria
Event: Heightened security measures in and around the FCT have resulted in increased reports of vehicle searches and traffic checkpoints.
Actions to Take:
- Remain respectful if stopped for a vehicle check.
- Do not force your way through a security checkpoint.
- Carry proper identification.
- Review your personal security plans and keep your cell phone charged in case of emergency.
- Always drive with your windows closed and the doors locked.
- Avoid activities after dark.
U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4328 and after hours +234 (9) 461-4000 press zero.
U.S. Consulate General Lagos
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after-hours
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.