U.S. Mission to Nigeria
Routine Message for U.S. Citizens: Update on the Temporary Closure of U.S. Consulate General’s Lagos Consular Section
March 11, 2020
Due to reasons beyond our control we are temporarily unable to provide regular services for visas and American Citizen Services in Lagos, but other offices within the Consulate General remain open. Please note that consular functions at the U.S. Embassy Abuja are not affected and will continue.
Until further notice, applicants are encouraged to contact the Consular Office in Abuja for immediate emergency travel. Applicants with emergency travel must provide a travel itinerary. Please monitor the Facebook and Webpage of the U.S. Embassy for updates on consular operations. Scheduled visa and ACS applicants for Lagos will be contacted for rescheduling.
American citizens in southern Nigeria with urgent travel needs who are to re-schedule their travel through Abuja should contact the ACS office at Embassy Abuja (09) 461-4000 and AbujaACS@state.gov) to discuss their options. Those travelling after March 13, 2020 should follow-up with LagosACS@state.gov to confirm their appointments closer to their appointment date.
American citizens in southern Nigeria with emergency services needs should continue to contact the after-hours emergency number for Lagos at 01 460-3400 and press “0” to go to the operator to request assistance.
We regret the inconvenience this has caused to our applicants in Lagos and hope to resume operations next week. Please monitor the Facebook and Webpage of the US Embassy for the next status update of consular operations in Lagos.
For information on security in Nigeria:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Advisories and Alerts, the Nigeria Travel Advisory, Nigeria Country Information, and the Crime and Safety Reports for Nigeria
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, at +234 (9) 461-4328 (ACS only), Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (9) 461-4000 and press zero.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, located 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, at +234 (1) 460-3400 (ACS only), Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +234 (1) 460 3400.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).