May 28, 2015
The Presidential Inauguration will be held in Abuja on May 29, 2015. There will be a heavy security presence throughout the city on May 28 and 29. Additional security checkpoints and traffic delays can be expected.
The following areas will be heavily impacted by security measures and should be avoided:
- Transcorp Hilton compound and surrounding streets
- Hotel Sheraton and surrounding streets
- Eagle Square and surrounding streets
- Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport
- The Presidential Villa and surrounding streets
The Nigerian National Police Force (NPF) increases its security posture during special events in Abuja and additional checkpoints can be expected. It is mandatory to stop at legitimate Nigerian checkpoints when directed. U.S. citizens are advised to anticipate unexpected delays throughout the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and plan accordingly.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, Travel Warning for Nigeria and Country Specific Information for Nigeria.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Abuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area. The Embassy is open Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For after-hours emergencies, the Embassy in Abuja can be reached by telephone at +234(9) 461-4000, or by email at AbujaACS@state.gov.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos, located at 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island. The Consulate General is open Monday-Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. For after-hours emergencies, the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos can be reached by telephone at +234(1) 460-3600 or +234 (1) 460-3400, or by email at LagosACS@state.gov.
- Visit the U.S. Mission in Nigeria website.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.