Temporary Closure in Abuja:
The consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Abuja will be temporarily closed on Tuesday, March 13. We regret that you will not be able to pick up your passports or social security checks on that day.
Are your family’s passports ready for international travel this summer?
Many countries require at least six months of validity on your passports.
Passports arrive about two or three weeks after an approved application.
- Passport procedures for adults and minors are listed here.
- A reminder: if your child has never had a U.S. passport before and was born in Nigeria, then you should first make an appointment to document your child’s acquisition of U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificate. At your scheduled CRBA appointment you can also submit the child’s first passport application.
Upcoming Change in Passport Fees:
Please note that fees for some passport applications will increase next month. Starting on April 2, the passport “execution fee” will become $35, an increase from the current $25 fee.
The passport execution fee covers the cost of identity verification and document review. Most adult passport renewals in Nigeria do not require an execution fee.
All fees are paid inside the Consular Section on the day of your interview. Only U.S. dollars and Naira are accepted, in cash. Your receipts will list all applicable passport fees.
For information on security in Nigeria:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution,Travel Advisories and Alerts,the Nigeria Travel Advisoryand Nigeria Country Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy inAbuja, located at Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, at +234 (9) 461-4000, Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 (9) 461-4000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate inLagos, located 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, at +234 (1) 460-3400, Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +234 803-402-2405.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook