Event: Considerations for Evacuation Travel
U.S. Embassy Abuja and U.S. Consulate General Lagos would like potential evacuees to bear in mind the following considerations in determining if an evacuation flight is in the best interest of you and your family:
- Expenses – This is a self-funded, one way flight to a single destination in the United States. All passengers must sign a promissory note and repay the full cost of their seat(s). In addition, travelers are responsible for organizing and funding any travel to their final destination in the United States, all living expenses while in the United States, and any return travel to Nigeria. Evacuation flights can range between $1,300 and $2,400 per person.
- Healthcare – Healthcare systems in many localities in the United States are currently overwhelmed. If you need to seek medical care while in the United States, you will be responsible for all costs not covered by your insurance.
- Hotels – Many hotels in the United States have closed or are closing. If you plan to evacuate to the United States, please ensure you secure accommodations BEFORE you travel.
- Inability to Return to Nigeria – At this time, Nigerian airports are closed to all commercial international flights. If you evacuate to the United States, it is unlikely you will be able to return to Nigeria until the Nigerian government reopens the airports and commercial flights resume.
- Pets – No pets will be permitted on these flights. This includes both pets that travel in cargo and those that travel in cabin.
- Closings and Shortages – There are shortages of many basic supplies across the United States, including toilet paper and canned and frozen foods. Many stores, restaurants, and businesses are closed.
- Schools Closed – Most schools in the United States are closed and there are very few childcare options available at this time.
- Unaccompanied minors – Unaccompanied minors MUST be met at the Washington-Dulles International Airport by a responsible adult. Domestic travel in the United States may have limited options to allow that adult to travel to the airport to meet the minor.
- Luggage restrictions – There are strict limitations on number of pieces of checked and carry-on luggage as well as size and weight. Oversize and excess luggage will not be permitted.