March 30, 2020
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Event: Evacuation Flights from Lagos
The U.S. Consulate in Lagos has confirmed evacuation flights for this week. Flights will depart from Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos and fly directly to Washington-Dulles International Airport in Virginia (Washington, D.C.). If we have space for you on the flight, you will recieve a confirmation letter sent to the e-mail you provided in the evacuation request form. Please monitor your Spam/Junk e-mail as well.
Please DO NOT come to the airport unless you have received a letter indicating that you have a seat on the flight. You will be turned away and not allowed to enter the airport.
Please note that this evacuation flight is a one-way flight at the expense of the traveler(s). No money is required upfront. All individuals who choose to return to the United States on a flight organized by the U.S. Department of State will be required to sign a promissory note to reimburse the government for the full cost of each seat on the flight. The anticipated cost of the flight is between $1,300 and $1,400 per person.
Travelers will be responsible for arranging and funding their own travel from the Washington, D.C. area to their final destination, and for any return flight to Nigeria. The U.S. Department of State is unable to assist with identifying resources or providing funding for housing, food, or transportation in Nigeria or within the United States.
Please note that pets will not be allowed to accompany travelers as either cargo or in-cabin on this flight. Additional information will be sent out by e-mail regarding baggage restrictions with your specific flight details.
If you are a U.S. citizen, are interested in evacuating on this flight, and have not already provided us your traveler information, you must provide your information as soon as possible. To do so, fill out the evacuation request form here. You must complete the form for EACH traveler in your party. If you have already completed this form, do not complete it again. Please do not follow up with us by e-mail or call to confirm receipt of your information as we are occupied with making the arrangements for the flight. We will reach out to you directly with further details or if we need any additional information.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is working to arrange a similar flight from Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. Once a flight has been confirmed, the Embassy will release flight information and instructions. Those who are interested in returning to the United States via Abuja should click here and enter their information. If you plan to travel on the Lagos flight, please do NOT submit your information to the Embassy in Abuja.
Again, if you have not completed the form, do so now. If you have already completed this form for EACH traveler, you do not need to fill out the form. We will reach out to you directly with further details or if we need additional information. If you have any specific questions, you may contact us by telephone at +234 1 460 3899.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 461-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter