Event: COVID-19 Lockdown Reminders
Throughout the past ten days, the Government of Nigeria has announced a number of updates to its COVID-19 lockdown:
- Effective April 22, the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) agreed to a 14-day ban on interstate movement across all 36 states in Nigeria. The new restrictions apply to all interstate travel with the exception of essential services.
- Abuja, Lagos, and Ogun will remain on lockdown until Monday, May 04, 2020. The Secretary to the Federal Government announced new regulations on commercial activity and movement on April 30 which will govern the next two-week period.
- Effective April 27, Kano State is on a total lockdown for a period of two weeks.
- Face masks or coverings are now mandatory in public settings.
- Effective 12:01 A.M. on May 04, 2020, a curfew will be in effect from 8:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. until further notice.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and U.S. Consulate General in Lagos ask all U.S. citizens to continue to shelter in place and practice social distancing when movement is necessary. Please continue to follow all local laws regarding movement restrictions and curfews.
If you are interested in taking a future evacuation flight and have not done so already, please CAREFULLY and ACCURATELY complete the appropriate questionnaire below. EACH TRAVELER in your party must complete his/her own questionnaire in order to be included in our data:
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter