Event: Update on Covid-19 Lockdown
On April 27, 2020, President Buhari, announced that the Covid-19 related lockdown currently in place for Abuja, Lagos, and Ogun will remain in effect until Monday, May 04, 2020. In addition, Kano State is on a total lockdown effective immediately for a period of two weeks. Also effective immediately, face masks or coverings are now mandatory in public settings. Restrictions on social and religious gatherings will remain in place and the restrictions on interstate movement will continue until further notice, with the exception of essential services.
The Government of Nigeria is expected to release additional information relating to the relaxing of the COVID-19 related restrictions, which is expected to allow for increased movement within states and select businesses to reopen. Beginning at 12:01 A.M. on May 04, 2020, a curfew will be in effect from 8:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. until further notice.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and U.S. Consulate General in Lagos ask all U.S. citizens to continue to shelter in place and practice social distancing when movement is necessary. Please continue to follow all local laws regarding movement restrictions and curfews.
Evacuation flight updates:
On April 22, 2020, we released a new evacuation questionnaire to collect the most accurate information from U.S. citizens who are interested in returning to the United States. To be counted, everyone with credible interest in evacuating MUST complete the below questionnaire. If you have already completed this form since April 22nd, you do not need to complete it again.
Important note: we do not have an evacuation flight at this time. We are gathering information for a POSSIBLE flight in the future. Please complete the below form for the location nearest to you for EACH traveler in your party. Please ensure you have entered ACCURATE phone and email information for yourself. You will be contacted by phone when a flight is available:
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter