Health Alert: U.S. Mission Nigeria (April 29, 2020)
Event: NCDC Updates
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced 1532 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria as of April 28, 2020. With the increase of cases, health facilities across the country are working with local, state and the Federal Government to ensure they are properly equipped and trained to treat patients suspected to the COVID-19 virus. Hospitals continue to treat patients suffering from various aliments not associated with the virus.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and Consulate General in Lagos recommend that U.S. citizens in Nigeria identify local medical and hospital facilities in their area, should you require medical treatment. It is recommended to have regular contact with your medical provider to ensure they are open and able to accept new patients since hospital closures can occur at any time to reduce the spread of the virus.
Please continue to follow NCDC guidance if you have symptoms related to the COVID-19 virus or if you have been in close contact with someone who has been confirmed to have the virus.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (209) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (201) 460-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter