Event: Extension of Airport Closures
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced 665 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria as of April 20, 2020. To continue its efforts to curb the spread of the virus, the Government of Nigeria has announced an extension of the airport closures through May 07, 2020 with the exception of emergency flights.
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and U.S. Consulate in Lagos have successfully evacuated over 1,500 U.S. citizens seeking to return to the United States since the suspension of international flights was announced on March 23rd. However, at this time, U.S. Mission Nigeria does not know when further flights might be scheduled.
We will continue to monitor the situation in Nigeria closely and determine the need for additional evacuation flights. Please continue to monitor your email for further communication on when a future flight will be available and how to register for the flight.
We ask all U.S. citizens in Nigeria to continue to adhere to the movement restrictions put in place by the Government of Nigeria for Lagos, Abuja, and Ogun State through April 27, 2020.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 461-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter