Health Alert: U.S. Mission Nigeria (April 18, 2020)
Event: Scheduled Flights Out of Nigeria/Restrictions on Movement
The U.S. Consulate in Lagos has successfully concluded its scheduled evacuation flight for this week. At this time, U.S. Mission Nigeria is not aware of when the State Department would be in a position to schedule another evacuation flight. However, we will continue to closely monitor the situation in Nigeria and the need for evacuation flights.
On April 13, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari extended restrictions on movement in Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja), and Ogun State through April 27. Commercial international flights have been suspended through April 23. The U.S. Mission urges American citizens in Nigeria to continue observing restrictions on movement. The order calls for all people in these areas to stay indoors. Please continue to shelter in place. If and when the Government of Nigeria issues another update to these orders, we will communicate the details.
With no currently scheduled evacuation flights, U.S. Mission Nigeria will revert to weekly Mascot messages during the pandemic, with more frequent communication as developments arise.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 461-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter