Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria (March 17, 2020)
Event: On March 17, the Ministry of Health announced three confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
The government of Nigeria has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), travelers without symptoms on departure, but who become unwell in transit, are advised to self-report to the Port Health Services on arrival. Travelers from countries with ongoing local transmission, but who show no symptoms on arrival, should self-isolate at home for 14 days after arrival.
If travelers from countries with ongoing local transmission feel ill with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing within 14 days of arrival in Nigeria, the NCDC requests you do the following: observe self-isolation immediately by staying indoors and avoid contact with people; call the NCDC 24/7 toll-free line immediately at 0800-9700-0010; and avoid self-medication.
On March 14, the U.S. Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business; after hours press zero.
- U.S. Consulate Lagos
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after-hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter