Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria (December 8, 2021)
Event: Updated Travel Restrictions Due to the COVID-19 Omicron Variant
Travelers to the United States:
On December 2, the President of the United States announced that all inbound international travelers must test within one day of departure, regardless of vaccination status or nationality. For additional information, please “New Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S.” on Travel.State.Gov.
Travelers to Nigeria:
On November 30, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed the first case of the COVID-19 Omicron variant in Nigeria. As a result, the Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19 revised the national travel advisory. Effective immediately, all inbound travelers aged 10 and up to Nigeria must present a negative PCR test done no more than 48 hours prior to the first leg of their journey. In addition, all outbound passengers aged 10 and up, regardless of requirements of destination countries, are expected to present evidence of full vaccination or a negative PCR test done within 48 hours of departure. Children under the age of 10 are exempted from testing. For additional information, please view NCDC’s press release.
Pre-booking and payment for post-arrival Day-2 COVID-19 PCR tests is required for all passengers arriving in Nigeria. Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers must also self-isolate for seven days and take a post-arrival Day-7 PCR test.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for the latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- Check U.S. Embassy Nigeria’s COVID-19 Information Page for updated information on COVID-19 related to the availability of testing.
- Visitstate.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Click here for our Travel to the U.S. FAQs.
U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4328 and after hours +234 (9) 461-4000 press zero.
U.S. Consulate Lagos
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460 3400 during business hours and after-hours
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter: @USinNigeria