Health Alert: U.S. Mission Nigeria (May 29, 2020)
Event: State Specific Updates on Movement Restrictions
The lockdown for Lagos, Abuja and Ogun states, as well as the nationwide curfew approved by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 is scheduled to end on June 01, 2020. In preparation for this, many states are announcing new guidelines on a state-by-state basis. At this time, we are aware that Ogun state will relax the lockdown on June 1stallowing for free movement within the State from Mondays to Fridays, with Saturdays and Sundays remaining lockdown days. More information can be found here regarding specific restrictions and guidance for Ogun State.
Meanwhile, Kaduna State has extended its lockdown for another 14 days but will allow for some free movement on specific days. More information can be found here. Kano also remains in lockdown until this date. All airports remain closed for flights (except approved emergency flights) through June 04, 2020.
Please continue to monitor local new sources for information on state specific lockdowns and relaxation of movement restrictions in the coming days and weeks. Should the Presidential Task Force provide a nationwide update on COVID-19 developments, we will assist with communicating that information to U.S. citizens in Nigeria. Otherwise, with no currently scheduled evacuation flights, U.S. Mission Nigeria will revert to weekly STEP messages.
Please note: The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos have suspended routine consular services. We will make announcements when we are able to safely re-open and reschedule canceled appointments.
Evacuation flight registration
The U.S. Mission continues to track requests for repatriation to ensure we have the latest information on the needs of U.S. citizens in Nigeria, however, please note the Embassy and Consulate General are unable to guarantee additional evacuation flights.
To better track these requests, we released a new evacuation questionnaire on April 22, 2020. If you have not yet completed the questionnaire, please CAREFULLY and ACCURATELY complete the appropriate questionnaire below. EACH TRAVELER in your party must complete his/her own questionnaire in order to be included in our data. You should complete the form only for the consular district where you are located.
If you have already completed the questionnaire, please do not submit another form or call to check on the status of a flight; we have received your information. If we have space for you on a future flight, you will be contacted by phone using the number you provided in the evacuation request questionnaire.
New Lagos Evacuation Flight Questionnaire
New Abuja Evacuation Flight Questionnaire
Register for STEP
We ask all those seeking to receive updates from the U.S. Embassy in Abuja or Consulate General in Lagos to register for the Smart Travel Enrollment Program (STEP) at step.state.gov.
To receive updates about Nigeria, you must select Nigeria as your destination under the “Add a Trip/Residence” section.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (1) 460-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter