Event: Continue to Shelter in Place
Effective March 27, 2020, the U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos have suspended routine consular services and have reassigned many of their staff to support the coordination of potential evacuation flights for U.S. citizens. We have received a significant number of phone calls and emails from those seeking to return to the United States, which we are working to respond to. We are asking U.S. citizens and their families across Nigeria to be patient and continue to shelter in place until further information is provided about a potential evacuation flight back to the United States.
If you are interested in returning to the United States and have not done so yet, please fill out the electronic form corresponding to your location and submit it for EACH traveler in your party:
Lagos: Click here to access the Electronic Form
Abuja: Click here to access the Electronic Form
Please do not come to the Embassy or Consulate unless you have a scheduled emergency appointment. As a reminder, the Embassy and Consulate do not have the resources to provide you with lodging, transportation costs, or food. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to help U.S. citizens get through these challenging times.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nigeria
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Abuja, Nigeria
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area
+234 (9) 461-4000 during business hours; after hours press zero (0)
- U.S. Consulate General Lagos, Nigeria
2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island
+234 (9) 461-3400 during business hours and after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.