Application opens: February 1
Application Closes: June 1
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program (formerly Fulbright JSD) is a non-degree program funded by the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. and administered by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York.
The program is designed primarily to strengthen capacities of African universities through higher degree training and to develop the potential of their academic staff. It is targeted at young and exceptionally promising faculty members who wish to conduct their doctoral research in the United States. Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline at a Nigerian university or research institute at the time of application.
Applicants are advised to read the instructions preceding the application carefully before they fill in the form.
ONLY online applications are accepted. Interested applicants can apply online at the following website: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2020
Objectives of the Program
- To promote institutional linkages between U.S. and Nigerian universities and institutions.
- To expose Nigerian academics to the U.S. education system and standard research facilities for timely completion of their doctoral program.
- To promote teaching and research as well as manpower development for Nigeria’s higher institutions of learning.
- To expose grantees to leadership skills and voluntary service with a view to sensitizing them to imbibe these values when they return home.
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for a grant:
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the Nigerian government.
- Applicants must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency.
- Applicants must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet based TOEFL test.
- The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is open to applicants in all disciplines. However, proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Only applicants with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time-frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not studied in the U.S.
The Fulbright program takes the issue of academic dishonesty (plagiarism) very seriously and will disqualify applications that violate academic integrity.
Application and Instructions: The application and instructions can be found at https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2020
A complete application includes:
- An online application which includes:
- A clearly written research objective.
- Professional resume.
- Three letters of reference specifying the personal, academic and professional competence of the candidate (submitted electronically and attached to the online application).
- Student copy of academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended should be scanned and attached to the online application if available.
- TOEFL score report.
Hard copies of official academic transcripts from higher institutions should be forwarded to our office by regular mail.
For Candidates in the South/ South- East/ South West of Nigeria please address the envelope to the Fulbright Program Officer, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General, 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos
For Candidates in the North-Central/North-East/North-West of Nigeria please address the envelope to the Cultural Affairs Assistant, U.S. Embassy, Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central Area, Abuja
Applicants with specific questions not addressed by the online application instructions may e-mail them to Nigeriafulbright@state.gov
The Fulbright program is a popular program and the Public Affairs Office will only notify shortlisted candidates.