Location: Abuja City, Nigeria
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Abuja advises U.S. citizens that organized groups of activists are gathering in Abuja. Spontaneous demonstrations are expected to take place in the capitol area, beginning October 30 and occurring over the next several days. We have no information about the dates/times or duration of these protests. Expect increased police presence and checkpoints. Be prepared for possible disruptions to traffic. U.S. Government personnel have been advised to exercise caution traveling within Abuja City throughout this period. Recent protests have encountered a strong police/security force response, including the use of live ammunition and tear gas.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and large crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria
+(234) 9 461-4328
+(234) 9 461-4000 (after hours)
- U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria
+(234) 1 460-3600
+(234) 1 460-3400 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Nigeria Country Information
- Nigeria Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook