An official website of the United States government

Consular Report of Birth Abroad
June 3, 2022

General Information on Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) documents the birth of a U.S. citizen in a foreign country. It is accepted by all U.S. Government agencies as proof of a child’s U.S. citizenship and for obtaining a U.S. passport. Although not technically a birth certificate (which can only be issued in the United States), the CRBA can be used in the U.S. in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a state or local government.  CRBAs cannot be issued if the child is 18 years of age or older at the time the application is made. You may apply for a child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.

The CRBA and Passport can be issued if the parent is able to provide credible evidence of a blood relationship to the child as well as proof that the parent meets the requirements to transmit citizenship. The parents have the burden of proof to establish that the child is eligible, and we encourage applicants to read and follow CRBA instructions carefully, as outlined in the “Applying for a CRBA” and “CRBA Checklist” documents below.

Applying for a CBRA in Nigeria

Please note that we can only approve or deny CRBA applications for children born in Nigeria. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication.  To save time and streamline the process, we strongly encourage applicants – where possible – to apply for the CRBA in the country where the child was born.

Application Steps

  1. Review the document titled Applying for a CRBA (PDF 152KB) in Nigeria for an overview of the process and answers to frequently asked questions.
  2. Follow the CBRA Checklist (PDF 146KB) very carefully, preparing all the required documents.
  3. Once you have completed the CRBA checklist (PDF 146KB), you may request a CRBA appointment.