An official website of the United States government

Checklist for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) with First-Time Passport


In addition to the items listed here, the personal appearance by the applicant (the child) is required and both parents should appear if possible. 

When applying for a CRBA/Passport you must schedule an appointment for each individual applicant.


Non-Refundable Application Fee

The fee will be paid online via eCRBA if possible. If payment on eCRBA is not possible, you may pay on the day of the appointment at the Embassy/Consulate. The fee for a CRBA is $100. The fee for a child’s passport under 16 is $135; for those 16 and over, the fee is $165. Therefore, the total charge for children under 16 to apply for a CRBA and passport is $235. Once a child reaches the age of 18, he or she is no longer eligible to receive a CRBA certificate. The cashier at the Embassy/Consulate accepts cash (dollars or naira, but not a mix of both currencies) or a U.S. credit card.

Photos of Applicant

You will need one passport photo, 2in x 2in (5cm x 5cm), set against a white background for the child (eyes must be open). For photo instructions and samples, refer to http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/photoexamples/photoexamples_5300.html

Application for a CRBA

You will follow the instructions in eCRBA to complete the application

Form DS-5507

You may also be required to complete the Form DS-5507. You can find the form here: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5507.PDF

You should complete and submit the Form DS-5507 if you are the U.S. citizen father of the child, the child was born out of wedlock, and you will not be attending the interview.

  • The Form DS-5507 must be signed at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in front of a Consular Officer or in front of a Passport Specialist or Designated Acceptance Agent in the United States (for example, at a Passport Agency). Nigerian notaries are not accepted on the form.


  • Original Birth Certificate
    Please bring the original birth certificate and 1 photocopy. For children born in Nigeria, bring the National Population Commission (NPC) birth certificate.
  • Evidence of parent’s U.S. citizenship
    The U.S. citizen parent must have been a citizen at the time of the child’s birth. Present proof of the parent’s U.S. citizenship, e.g., valid or expired U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship. Bring the original and 1 photocopy.
  • Passport/Identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent
    The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring her/his passport or 2 other forms of photo identification, such as a government-issued ID or Driver’s License. Please bring the original ID and 1 photocopy of each.
  • Photo identification and growing-up photos of child
    If you are applying for a CRBA more than one year after the child’s birth, please bring photos of the child from birth to their current age—many photos taken at different times and places. Also, for school-aged children, please bring as many school records as possible.


  • Evidence of physical presence in the United States/residence
    If only one parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth, that parent must bring proof of sufficient physical presence or residence in the United States before the birth in order to transmit citizenship. Physical presence in most cases must be at least five years, two of those years after the age of 14, all before the child was born. Documents that may establish your physical presence in the United States include school transcripts, old passports, a Military Statement of Service or DD-214 Separation Statement (military members only). Consular officers will also consider Social Security Statements from www.ssa.gov or CBP exit/entry records requested by the applicant from www.foia.gov. Bring the original documents and 1 photocopy of each. Page 2 of the DS-2029 must reflect specific periods of time in the United States.


  • Parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable
    Bring the original marriage certificate and 1 photocopy. For marriages conducted in Nigeria, provide the official marriage certificate from the marriage registrar. If the marriage was a traditional ceremony, please bring evidence of this marriage and the date.
  • Other proof of parents’ relationship
    Photos together over time, stamps in current and prior passports showing time spent together in any country. Applicants may also request CBP exit/entry records from www.FOIA.gov. These documents can also serve as a guide to the U.S. citizen parent in completing the section on periods of physical presence in the United States on the eCRBA application or on the Form DS-5507.
  • Divorce and Annulment Decrees/Death Certificates, if applicable
    The mother and/or father will need to show termination of all prior marriages. Bring the original death certificate or divorce decree/annulment and 1 photocopy of each document.


  • Prenatal records and/or other evidence of mother’s pregnancy
    Medical records, ultrasound reports, birth report from hospital, and photos of the mother during pregnancy and after birth are all helpful to establish the biological relationship between the mother and child. Please bring original documents and photocopies.
  • Evidence of parents’ location at time of conception
    Examples may include passports, flight records, entry/exit records, etc.
Important note about DNA testing

The Embassy DOES NOT accept private DNA tests taken in advance of the CRBA appointment. After the interview, if it is determined there is insufficient evidence of the biological relationship, DNA testing may be suggested, and specific instructions will be provided by the Consular Officer on only using the approved providers.

To apply for a passport (recommended), please also bring the following:
  • Application for a U.S. Passport (DS-11)
    Complete, but do not sign! For children under the age of 16, both parents/legal guardians are required to come in person. Complete the form at pptform.state.gov, hit the submit button, and then print it out and bring it with you to the appointment.
  • Proof of Parental Consent (if one or both parents listed on the Birth Certificate is/are not present)
    If only one parent/guardian is present for the interview, the absent parent/guardian must sign a “Statement of Consent” (DS-3053) authorizing the issuance of a U.S. passport for children under the age of 16. Download this form at https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds3053.PDF
    The absent parent must sign the DS-3053 and get it notarized by a U.S. notary or at a U.S. embassy or consulate and send the original to the parent attending the interview, with 1 photocopy of the front and back side of the photo ID used during notarization. The Statement of Consent document is only valid for 90 days after the date of signature. Only original consents are accepted (no scanned or faxed copies).

Note: If one parent/guardian has sole custody, present the original document allowing sole authority to apply for the child’s passport, i.e., a court order specifying sole custody and termination of parental rights, death certificate, etc., and 1 copy.

Appointment Request

You should use eCRBA to create your case. Once you create your case in eCRBA, you should scan the required documents into the case. You can also pay the fees and schedule your appointment in eCRBA. To schedule your appointment you will be linked here.